Leonard Biermans from Turnhout published this deck around 1940 as "Prima Speelkaarten nr 1410". Although the courts have Dutch indices, the aces donít have an "A", but are numbered with a "1", just like in the French patterned decks.

The deck comes with the only set of aces not showing a single view of Amsterdam. They are usually printed in b/w, but also exist in purple or a lighter, brownish tone, as shown here.

        

 

This deck was published  as a 33 cards deck by Mesmaekers from Turnhout as Cartes Imperiales Nr. 778. The deck comes with scenic aces from different Dutch cities, but mainly Amsterdam. There are no captions.

           

There's an interesting scene on the Ace of Hearts. To our knowledge it's the only scene which depicts the "Hoogesluis" in Amsterdam, seen from the city center outwards. On other aces this bridge across the Amstel river is always shown in the direction of the center. But here we can see the famous Amstel Hotel, which is on the east side of the river. The hotel has had presidents, royalty and rock stars as guests. 

 

These two decks were made by Van Genechten from Turnhout. Both have Van Genechten's version of the Dutch pattern and are accompanied by Dutch scenic aces with exactly the same designs. The first deck, with the small indices, dates from the 1930's and is accompanied by the colored version. Although he second deck is accompanied by b/w aces and may seem older than the first deck, it dates from the 1950's There's one interesting difference between these sets and that's to be found on the Ace of Clubs.

            

Although the designs are the same, in the older set the name of the Colonial Institute is used. This was the original name of the Dutch institute when it was build. The construction took place between 1915 and 1926. It was meant to be an institute that researched not only the cultural history, but also the development of  (agricultural) products and production in the Dutch colonies. It also included a museum. After the independence of the former Dutch East Indies in 1950, the name of the institute was changed to Royal Institute for the Tropics and the building now housed the Museum of the Tropics, the "Tropenmuseum".

                 

 

previous or next