Ace of Spades by the Dutch Speelkaartenfabriek Nederland in a Neerlandia "A" deck, published as Amstel around 1915.
The Vondelpark was originally called the New Park, when it was constructed in 1865. It was designed by the architect J.D. Zocher. In 1867 a statue of the famous Dutch author Joost van den Vondel (1587-1679) was placed in the park and people began to refer to it as "Vondel's park". In 1880 the name was officially changed into Vondelpark.
The Vondelpark Pavilion, partially shown here, was build by W. Hamer in a neo-renaissance style between 1874 and 1881. From the beginning on it was used as an exposition space for modern artists and a favorite meeting place for Amsterdam's "beau monde". Since 1972 the Vondelpark pavilion houses the Film Museum and the outside terrace is still a meeting place for the present day "beau monde".